Tuesday, 7 March 2017

How to Deal with Moisture & Mould Problems in Your Home

Surveys had revealed that many New Zealand homes are poorly insulated and cause health problems- latest survey being the HRV State of Home Survey which interviewed over 1400 New Zealanders, also found out that 56% of landlords refused to do anything about poor insulation when contacted by tenants. The survey was conducted by Buzz Channel in collaboration with a Professor of Sociology at Auckland University of Technology, on 20th July, 2016.

The survey revealed that the presence of excess mould is a cause of worry in around 50% of the rented homes in New Zealand affecting the health of the tenants. And as a result, the renters take more sick leave than the national average, the survey said. 

Addressing the mould issue

You can find traces of mould behind the bed, in the bathroom or dotting the kitchen ceiling, and if not controlled, it’ll creep into every nook and cranny.

Being a responsible home cleaning service, Select Home Clean in New Zealand regularly publishes efficient mould removal methods on their blog site.

If you have rented a house, you should first check it thoroughly to ensure that there is no mould problem in the house. If you notice it later, landlords may not accept they're responsible for the mould because there is no clear-cut responsibility laid out in the law. And tenants will have to go through housing tribunals or the courts to prove their case.

If you see that there are leaky taps, broken gutters or windows that don't seal properly, immediately report the matter to the landlord and get it repaired. It’s also important to call professional home cleaners occasionally to perfectly clean your house so that the possibility of mould developing is avoided.

How to get rid of mould in your home

Mould is classified according to the place where it occurs, like non-porous, semi-porous and super-porous. If the mould has heavily infested a super-porous surface, such as a textile, carpet, clothing, cardboard or furniture, you may need to discard that item because the mould can't be removed completely.

First, vacuum up the mould with a vacuum cleaner that has appropriate filter for absorbing the mould spores. If the filter is not a good one, you may end up making the problem worse by spreading the spores and mould vapours around.

Next, remove all the left over traces of mould with the help of diluted vinegar.  Prepare a solution of vinegar and water in the proportion of 80:20 in a large container, and then pour it into three buckets. Dip a microfiber cloth in the first bucket and clean a patch of mould. Before using this cloth on another colony of mould, clean it in the second bucket and again in the third bucket also to remove all mould spores so as to avoid cross-contamination. This way, repeat the process till the mould presence has been completely removed.   

If the use of vinegar has left streaks on the cleaned surface, clean it further with bleach to remove discolouration.

When to call the mould removal experts

If the mould affected area is comparatively larger, it’ll be dangerous to your health, releasing toxic spores and vapours, possibly resulting in hypersensitivity or allergic reactions with itchy skin rashes, and asthma and flu-like symptoms. In such instances where the mould covers an area greater than three feet by three feet, it’s advisable to call professional home cleaners to deal with the mould problem.

Get a free house cleaning quote today by calling the Select Home Cleaners on 0800 000 907.

No comments:

Post a Comment