As we head into Autumn now is a good time to be looking at a few extra things you can do in your home to set the house up for winter. We have had a great summer so why not take advantage of the good weather to get some of theses extra chores done?
Here are a few extra things to might want to think about (assuming that your home is being cleaned regularly):
- Move heavy furniture and clean under and behind (don't forget the cobwebs on the back of the chest of drawers!)
- Turn all the mattresses in the house - end to end and front to back. This will help to even out wear.
- Wash all the bed coverings - duvets, blankets, pillows etc
- Get the carpet cleaned while the weather is still fine and the carpet will dry quickly. You should think about doing this twice a year - it will help to make the carpet last longer.
- Clean all light fittings - if the coverings will come off take them down and wash them in warm soapy water.
- Clean out kitchen cupboards - move everything out and wash down the shelves. If you have some sort of shelf protector replace the worn ones.
- Move the stove and fridge out and clean behind & under them.
- Clean out the lint etc from the dryer (if you use one)
- De-clutter - get rid of the "stuff" you are not using. Either put it in storage or get rid of it altogether. You will be amazed at how much you can get rid of and how much easier the normal cleaning of your home will be.
- Clean out the pantry - through out all old food.
Okay - too much! Sure but remember - it's all about planning. Don't try to do it all at once. Work out a plan on what you will do over the next two or three weeks then break it down into daily tasks. I would suggest no more than 1 hour at a time. You will be surprised how much you can get through in small spurts.
Of course the other option is to prepare a plan with your cleaner and get them to do it....maybe a whole lot less stress this way!